Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Value in Networking

Have you ever gone through the contacts on your Iphone or really paid attention to your email contacts? Those contacts are valuable resources right at your fingertips. Now take it a step further, what about that person sitting right next to you on the train during the early morning rush? Or that one person you may see every day at your local coffee shop? That person has the potential to be your next employer, business partner, friend or lover.

 As an author, it is important that I am armed with an inviting demeanor, books on hand, and ready to make a pitch about my novel Heads or Tails? Geminis Don't Choose. I would never be successful without these components, and without the understanding that the moment I leave my house I am stepping out into a world full of possibilities via the sea of faces I do not know.  I learned long time ago, how crucial and often in deliberate networking can be.

Think about social media. How many times have you received from requests from someone on a friend or relatives page? That’s networking. I have made solid friendships via social media, and received invaluable information without leaving my home. People from my elementary to high school days are active parts of my professional and personal networks. The broader and more diverse your network the more opportunities are available.


Now take a moment and think about the last time you met someone by what you may assume was a fluke. What did that initial meeting turn into? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

Until the next time, I wish you the promise of better days,

Tish
Author of Heads or Tails? Geminis Don’t Choose

No comments:

Post a Comment